Diploma in Photography
Do you want a rewarding creative career working as a professional photographer? South Seas prepares you for the industry, specialising in Photojournalism, Commercial photography or Creative Art photography.
Why Come to South Seas?
- Caring & supportive learning environment
- Practical, hands on training
- Cutting edge industry technology
- Tutoring by industry veterans who really know their stuff
South Sea’s Photography course is a 43 week long, full time course resulting in a diploma in Photography. Students will receive the knowledge, understanding, appreciation and skills fundamental to a successful career in photography.
- Master the technology of the digital image production.
- Develop your skills through practical projects.
- Explore the role of photography in new media.
- Learn to analyse your own work and that of others.
- Provide graduates with a high level of practical, recognised professional photography skills.
- Ensure that graduates are ready to enter the industry upon completing the course.
Graduates will be competence in their elective field of photography as well as a high level of overall photography skills. They will be qualified to obtain work independently as professional photographers or obtain trainee positions with photographic companies or other industries that require a high level of photographic knowledge and skills. They can also progress on to related studies at a degree level.
Elective Fields of Photography
In terms 1–3, the course will provide a comprehensive introduction to and practical experience in all essential skill requirements for the following major fields of photography:
- Photojournalism including News, Live Events, Documentary and Travel photography.
- Commercial photography, including Portrait, Fashion, Food, Product, Illustrative photography.
- Creative Art photography including Portrait, Landscape, Fine Art photography.
This will prepare students to select which of the above fields of photography they wish to specialise in during Term 4.
Students will then work exclusively within their elective field of digital photography to produce a high quality professional portfolio that they can use to obtain work in their chosen field.
To prepare students for the challenges of professional photographic work, the course includes lectures, demonstrations, workshops, and training exercises in the following aspects of digital photography.
- History of Photography – Overview of the technical and creative development of photography.
- Science of Photography – Overview of the scientific basis of photography.
- Introduction to Photographic Aesthetics – Composition, framing, camera angles, lighting, and extensive application of these concepts with practical assignments.
- Photographic Equipment – Overview of all essential photographic equipment, accessories, materials and supplies.
- Digital Cameras – Extensive hands on training in the practical use of essential digital photographic cameras, lenses, tethering digital cameras to computers and digital workflow.
- Post Camera Digital Workflow – File formats, digital storage systems, and extensive practical experience in using these processes.
- Digital Photo Post Production – Extensive practical use of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom.
- Introduction to preparing photographic portfolios, curriculum vitae, researching, obtaining work, networking and developing photographic careers.
- Introduction to scheduling, budgeting, bookkeeping and business management for commercial photography.
- Planning and Production Skills -
- Develop skills in planning photographic assignments, production bookings and scheduling for projects with practical experience in carrying out these tasks throughout the course.
- Intro to Commercial Photography Art Direction -
- Concept and style development, efficient communication with makeup artists and stylists etc.
- Analysis and Feedback of Photographs – To enable continuing photographic improvements.
- Studio Lighting – Develop professional lighting techniques, photographic styles and creative expression through the use of light. This is achieved with extensive training and hands on use of professional photographic lighting equipment, light modifiers, accessories and supplies.
Increasing in Complexity
The course consists of a series of weekly, practical photographic exercises starting with basic but fundamental visual training. Photo shoots increase in scope and complexity throughout the year.
By the end of the course, participants are able to independently complete complex photographic assignments with a professional level of competence in both creative and technical aspects.
Becoming Industry Ready
Every lecture, workshop and shooting exercise is designed to fulfill industry requirements and prepare students for the demands of the industry.
Our industry experienced staff and industry guest tutors deliver lectures, demonstrations and workshops as well as assisting students with their photo shoots and projects. Students complement this support and guidance with their own self directed photo shoots and reinforce their theoretical knowledge with the delivery of written reports.
Course Duration & Intake Details
The course year is 43 weeks in duration and is divided into 4 Terms. There are two intakes each year, one in January and the other in July. Each intake class limited to a maximum of 16 students in order to ensure that each student receives quality training.
- The Digital Photography course is open to all New Zealand and International students.
- International applicants must be 18 years or older.
- International students must have English language skills equivalent to IELT level 6.
- Submit a portfolio, in digital form or print of photographs, relevant to the aims of the applicant.
- Applicants must complete the course application form, including written requirements, as well as complete a formal interview. For international applicants this can be via telephone or Skype.
|Digital Photography Diploma Course – Fees & Costs|
|Domestic Student Fees||International Student Fees|
|Tuition Fees (GST Inc @ 15%)||NZ$16,447.00||Tuition Fees (GST Inc @ 15%)||NZ$18,952.00|
|Less Govt EFTS Subsidy||NZ$ 6,587.00|
|Total NZ Domestic Fees||NZ$ 9,860.00||Total International Fees||NZ$18,952.00|
Please view the general application requirements before applying.
1. Basic information
2. Education & work experience
3. Aptitude (incl. 1 essay question)
4. Course specific questions
5. Additional information
Prepare for Applying